Children and Young People in care often get a bad press. People look at the problems we cause instead of helping us find long-term solutions. We know that we can frustrate even the most patient of persons. We want to share with you some of the things we think, feel and what matters most to us.
- There are lots of people in the world who consider looked after child as someone who want to spend their lives jumping from one crisis in life to the next crisis in life. The truth is we know life gives us many chances, but sometimes we just don’t seem to get a handle on those chances. People are not surprised to hear that many of the youth who are in young offenders or juvenile prisons have been in care.
- It is not true that looked after child want to live a life of crisis. Most of us try every day to be our best self.
- We don’t understand why we keep doing things that get us into trouble, but that doesn’t mean we want or set out purposely to get into trouble.
- Inside us, there is a voice that tells us to grab onto sensible choices in life but sometimes the voice isn’t persistent enough or loud enough when we need to hear it most.
- When you ask us why we keep doing the things that get us into trouble we tell you we don’t know. We know you don’t believe us, but it is true. If you want to know what that feels like you can read about it here.
- To be our best self is what all of us want deep down. We want to know how to change circumstances in our lives. We want you to be strong for us and to be consistent. Just because we kick against you doesn’t mean we don’t want to change. It just means it is going to take longer and be more complicated than you thought. We want you to support us. In other words, you can help us toward realising our ambition to become our ‘best self’ every day.
- We know there are lots of different resources out there to help you, but we want you to spend more time with us rather than sitting in an office looking for things to help us. We want you to have as much information as you need without having to take time away from us to find it.
- We also know that there are millions of things you must do because there are regulations that you have to follow, and we appreciate everything you do even if it doesn’t seem like it sometimes.
If you want to get out from behind your desk and back on to the floor, Rezume Social Care Consultants have developed a resource that will ensure your paperwork is up to date and you can take care of the things that matter.
Thanks for listening
You might also like to read,