Safe Recruitment Checklist
Safer Recruitment Criteria
Complete for every member of staff in your organisation to ensure you are up to date with the latest safer recruitment requirements.
The Social Care Common Inspection Framework (SCCIF) brought a tightening up of scrutiny particularly in the area of safeguarding. Coupled with updated requirements in safer recruitment practice this area is being looked at closely in your Inspection process and will form part of the ‘limiting judgement’. What this means is that if you are inadequate in the area of protecting children you are likely to be inadequate in the overall experiences and progress of children judgement.
What does the framework say with respect to safe recruitment?
How well children are helped and protected
Areas of required evidence are:
‘Whether safeguarding arrangements to protect children meet all statutory and other government requirements’ this includes safe recruitment.
This eight-page checklist is up to date with the requirements, in line with legislation and the Inspection framework.
The purpose of this checklist is to help employers:
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- Make sure potential applicants are aware of the organisation’s commitment to the welfare of vulnerable people.
- Be satisfied that each candidate has demonstrated their suitability for the specific position.
- Be satisfied, as far as possible, at each stage of recruitment and selection that the candidate is safe to practice.
- Be satisfied at each stage of the process that the best candidate(s) have been selected to progress to the next stage.
- Be satisfied of the candidate’s identify, qualifications, registration and right to work status
- Involve people who use care in recruitment and selection.
- To ensure the recruitment of staff fully protects young people.
Who should use this checklist
- Residential Children’s Homes
- Residential Special Schools
- Residential Family Assessment Centres
- Fostering Agencies
- Adoption Agencies
- Any organisation which is inspected by Ofsted and requires staff to be vetted under safer recruitment practice.