Safer Recruitment Checklist
Safer Recruitment Criteria
Complete the safer recruitment checklist for all staff in your organisation to ensure you have all the information needed for your staff team members and have a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Children’s social care recruitment guidance has specific requirements for recruiting staff. Ofsted inspectors will scrutinise your recruitment records on their visits or at the inspection to ensure they meet the requirements of the relevant regulations. Safer recruitment may impact the inspection judgement for the protection of children. If you are judged inadequate in the area of protecting children, you are likely to be inadequate in the overall experiences and progress of children’s judgement.
How well children are helped and protected
Areas of required evidence are:
‘Whether safeguarding arrangements to protect children meet all statutory and other government requirements,’ this includes safe recruitment.
This eight-page checklist is up to date with the requirements, in line with legislation and the inspection framework.
The purpose of this checklist is to help employers:
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- Make sure potential applicants are aware of the organisation’s commitment to the welfare of vulnerable people.
- Be satisfied that each candidate has demonstrated their suitability for the specific position.
- Be satisfied, as far as possible, at each stage of recruitment and selection that the candidate is safe to practice.
- Be satisfied at each stage of the process that the best candidate(s) have been selected to progress to the next stage.
- Be satisfied with the candidate’s identify, qualifications, registration and right to work status.
- Involve people who use care in recruitment and selection.
- To ensure the recruitment of staff fully protects young people.
Who should use this checklist
- Residential Children’s Homes
- Residential Special Schools
- Residential Family Assessment Centres
- Fostering Agencies
- Adoption Agencies
- Any organisation which is inspected by Ofsted and requires staff to be vetted under safer recruitment practice.